[Wylug-discuss] Technical enlightenment request

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 28 16:43:36 UTC 2015

Seeing the reference to
http://www.ebuyer.com/583348-d-link-dgs-1008p-8-port-gigabit-poe-unmanaged-desktop-switch-dgs-1008p-e
made me think about PoE.  Am I right in thinking that, since you feed a
single line into the powerline, picking it up in various places is akin
to picking it up from a switch box?

In my office here (a stone building in the garden) I'm using PoE.  There
is this laptop, doing most of the work, a small gizmo that feeds into
the TP-Link AP, an ethernet connection to my OfficeJet mfp, and the
occasional attachment of a further laptop.  Anything of importance is
saved to my NAS in the house and regular backups feed to the NAS.  At
times I think I'm overloading the system, as things start to slow down.
 Coincidence, or real problem?  If I've understood the PoE bit
correctly, then putting another switch box would only compound the
problem, wouldn't it?

Or do I have it completely wrong?

Anne