[Wylug-discuss] Wylug Nostalgia (Was: Not wanting to start a distro war)

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Feb 18 12:11:40 UTC 2016

Rob Speed writes:

> Actually, that does beg the question of who's still on here? Jim J,
> Dave F, Smylers, Aaron C, Nigel M - are you all still hiding in the
> shadows of WYLUGland?

Yeah, I'm still subscribed, and apparently even occasionally read
threads.

Now living in Ilkley, so could make a social meeting somewhere in the
centre of Leeds. It'd be nice to see you all.

If we do hold a re-union, it may be worth trying to track down in other
ways and invite old-timers who don't appear to be on this list any more.

I can quite honestly say I owe my entire career to Wylug — always
working places where my main workstation was running Linux or BSD. I was
fortunate to be at Leeds Uni when Jim (and others — Mark and Salvo, was
it?) founded Wylug. That led to both Dave F and Rik* inviting me to job
interviews after graduating. From there my next job was one I saw
advertised on a Wylug mailing list, and everything else led from those
two.

So a belated thank you to everybody involved in the first few years of
Wylug; it's hard to imagine how different my life would have turned out
without it.

* I went to Rik's wedding, then last heard of him moving to Australia.
His domain's whois details give an address in Singapore, so it doesn't
sound that likely he'd make any reunion.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2