[Wylug-discuss] Wylug Nostalgia (Was: Not wanting to start a distro war)

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Thu Feb 18 18:00:58 UTC 2016

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Smylers wrote:

> Rob Speed writes:
>
> > Actually, that does beg the question of who's still on here? Jim J,
> > Dave F, Smylers, Aaron C, Nigel M - are you all still hiding in the
> > shadows of WYLUGland?

Yes still lurking on the list.
Happy to try to attend a re-union.

> If we do hold a re-union, it may be worth trying to track down in other
> ways and invite old-timers who don't appear to be on this list any more.
>
> I can quite honestly say I owe my entire career to Wylug ? always
> working places where my main workstation was running Linux or BSD. I was
> fortunate to be at Leeds Uni when Jim (and others ? Mark and Salvo, was
> it?) founded Wylug.

I called the a meeting of people of people who might be interested in
forming a LUG - in Dec 1997 I think. Wasn't there a 10th birthday meal in
2007? Late 90's was an exciting time for Linux and the Internet etc -
remember the internet bubble/crash?

> So a belated thank you to everybody involved in the first few years of
> Wylug; it's hard to imagine how different my life would have turned out
> without it.
>
> * I went to Rik's wedding, then last heard of him moving to Australia.
> His domain's whois details give an address in Singapore, so it doesn't
> sound that likely he'd make any reunion.

Didn't Rik go to New Zealand? At least at first? Unfortunately not kept up
with him.

Someone asked about old kit still running linux. I've got a 386DX board,
with the maths co-processor chip, and 16Mbytes of ram, with an old debian
distro on which worked fine a few years ago. Must try booting it - It
reported 7.94 BogoMIPS! About 500 times slower most desktops nowadays. I'll
also have to try and find the media converter to convert to co-ax ethernet
so I can get it on the network - it only has a 10Mb co-ax ethernet adapter.

This really is getting nostalgic :-)

cheers
jim