[Wylug-discuss] Up rating my filling system

Türker Sezer turkersezer at tsdesign.info
Wed Apr 26 10:23:48 UTC 2017

According to documents, you can convert MBR to GPT without data loss [0]
and you can make LUKS conversion in-place [1]. But you can't enable LVM
without moving data. Also all these operations have data loss risk all time
so getting backup before disk operations is always recommended.

[0]: http://slavisa-jovanovic.com/linux/2015/02/19/mbr-to-gpt.html
[1]: http://www.johannes-bauer.com/linux/luksipc/

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Darren Menachem Drapkin via Wylug-discuss
<wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk> wrote:

> I posted this on Disqus a few days ago to no effect. I am asking this
> here, where it is more likely to receive an answer
>
> I have a computer that I use for most of my work. It runs Slackware. To
>> make it simple, years ago, when I first installed it, I used MBR and
>> reiserfs for the filling system. Since then, I have descovered that LUKS
>> provides encripted partitions, and LVM provides re-sizable ones. I have
>> also found that they also are more in-tune with the linux electric than MBR.
>> What I want to know is, whether there is a way to go from MBR to GPT with
>> LUKS and LVM and keep my exsisting filling system and data intact?
>>

> --
> --
> Darren Menachem Drapkin

Türker Sezer