[Wylug-discuss] Up rating my filling system

Chris Gretski cgretski at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 26 14:39:06 UTC 2017

If the current MBR disk is fully utilized the GPT conversion will be destructive, as GPT needs to store data at the end of the disk; you’d get the warning:
“Warning! Secondary partition table overlaps the last partition by33 blocks!
You will need to delete this partition or resize it in another utility.”

If you can reduce the size of your last partition the conversion should succeed; though I’d question the benefit of doing a conversion;

·         LUKS and LVM work fine on MBR.

·         Your disk can’t be big enough to need GPT if you’re currently using MBR

·         No performance difference between MBR/GPT.

·         Additional requirements for GPT ( UEFI capable BIOS, compatible bootloader )

I would personally wait until I was upgrading the physical disks.

If doing full-disk encryption does Slackware contain an initramfs/initrd capable of mounting an encrypted root partition?
If encrypting specific partitions don’t forget to encrypt swap (swap encryption doesn’t need to be persistent, encryption can be re-initialized every boot with urandom used as the keyfile)