[Wylug-help] DBI fails now my home directory's gone :(

Willswills@vwsws1.vws.co.uk Willswills at vwsws1.vws.co.uk
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:32:21 +0100 (BST)

  Following physical relocation of our lab machines and reallocation
of IP addresses, I can't get my home directory from the server any
more (`mount -at nfs` => "server: Permission denied"). Subsequently
I'm trying to run a Perl/DBI script directly on the server, where
the DBI bit doesn't work unmodified.

  Desktop machine: SuSE6.4eval(2.2.16-SMP on intel).
  Server `uname -a`: "SunOS vwssun2 5.5.1 Generic sun4u sparc
SUNW,Ultra-1"; `showrev -p` suggests "No patches are installed".

  When on the local host, the Perl-to-mySQL script fails to connect
with the 'dsn' left as-was. I get the same effect ("Access denied")
from the command line with:
	mysql --host=`hostname` --user=vspadmin -p
	mysql --host=`hostname`.`domainname` --user=vspadmin -p

  This works if:
	I use "--host=vwssun2[.vws.co.uk]" from any other machine
	I remove the "--host=..." argument.
	I remove the 'hostname=' part of the dsn in the script.

  Looking for two solutions therefore... in the latter (mySQL)
case, do I *have* to customise the dsn according to which machine
I'm on?

Cheers,
	Wills.