[Wylug-help] transparent squid proxy and a firewall

Bentony@leedsnet.com Bentony at leedsnet.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:35:05 +0100

>I want to prevent the client from bypassing the web cache and therefore
>want to setup squid as a transparent proxy, using ipchains and
>ipmasqadm/portfw/autofw. All the examples I have seen have the proxy
>outside of the firewall, which I can not do. What I want is to block all
>traffic destined to an external network with a port no of 80 or 443 and
>redirect it to 10.0.0.3:3128, but allow anything from 10.0.0.3 through.
>
>Does anyone know how to do this and does my description make sense?

No and Yes.

One of the reasons why I have not been posting recently is that trying to get
a squid to work the way I want it to on the network here is chewing up
all my answering mail time.

This is an ipchains question; if you haven't solved it yet please post again
and I will have a scout through the ipchains docs. I have a very simple
ipchains set up as I don't mind inside users connecting to outside
hosts. Firewalls will change again with the new kernel.

Ben.