[Wylug-help] transparent squid proxy and a firewall

MatthewJohnPalmermjp16@uow.edu.au MatthewJohnPalmermjp16 at uow.edu.au
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:54:01 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, David Pashley wrote:

> Matthew John Palmer said, and I quote:
> >
> > Sorry, I missed the OP so I'm replying to a reply.
> >
> > This is a fairly easy thing to do, really.  Just use the REDIRECT rule in
> > ipchains.
> >
> Except that REDIRECT only works to a port on the local machine. The web
> cache is on a separate machine inside the local network.

Oh, bugger.  There is a way to do this, though, I'm sure, since we're doing
a similar thing in reverse - connect to a machine from the outside world and
it gets handed off to another machine in the network for specific services.
That is behind an IP masquerade thing, though, so perhaps that's why it
works.

Unfortunately I can't get into the firewall machine remotely to see how it's
been done for our system.  If you can't get it sorted, harass me in a week
or so and I'll have an answer for you.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer
mjp16@uow.edu.au