[Wylug-help] transparent squid proxy and a firewall

NigelMetheringhamNigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk NigelMetheringhamNigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:08:11 +0100

mjp16@uow.edu.au said:
> Oh, bugger.  There is a way to do this, though, I'm sure, since we're
> doing a similar thing in reverse - connect to a machine from the
> outside world and it gets handed off to another machine in the network
> for specific services.  That is behind an IP masquerade thing, though,
> so perhaps that's why it works.

Yeah - thats rather different.

You probably *can* do redirect of web traffic to a remote machine using
policy routing - have a look in the iproute package (part of RH and
presumably other distributions).  The documentation is such that you
need a deep knowlege of black magic to effectively use it... and kernel
config changes.

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk ]