[Wylug-help] New motherboard swapsies

Bentony@leedsnet.com Bentony at leedsnet.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:06:52 +0100

At 11:13 AM 7/17/00, Paul Perkins wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm about to buy a new motherboard (dual celery), and have a probably
>stupid question.
>
>Could I simply drop the new M/B into the same machine (ie same H/D,
>memory, NIC, etc) without trouble? I'm expecting to recompile the kernel
>for SMP, but what else might I need to do?

I vote yes, for these reasons.

My understanding was that in the beginning it was the job of the BIOS to glue
these peripherals to the MB, and since the new MB would come with its
appropriate BIOS it should work.

Of course, for practical purposes, linux does not use the BIOS, the requisite
work is done by the drivers in the kernel, so yes you will need to recompile
the kernel.

If you feel that there is a risk of damage then you will have to check each
component independently, perhaps by doing a search on Google by FCC number.

It is not a stupid question, so far as I can tell; your best bet would
be to find someone who has done it. this is what luggen are for.

Ben.

--
Leedsnet - The information resource for Leeds and the West Riding
< URL:http://www.leedsnet.com/ >