[Wylug-help] Samba + Wu-ftpd File Locking

Bentony@leedsnet.com Bentony at leedsnet.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:15:20 +0100

>Since the samba clients are (normally) entitled to assume
>that they can lock files (opportunistically) and cache
>them locally, there
>is not much you can do about that of it, so if updating
>the files by ftp is vital, you could make this shared
>partition VFAT format, mount it with smb and the smb daemon
>will arbitrate locks. I am not aware of any problems
>with doing that (but I haven't tried it), though it does
>impact performance, but you probably won't mind that
>if it allows you to do what you want to do.

Nik has pointed out to me that my reference to vfat in there was actually
wrong (I was thinking of CIFS).

May I stress that a filesystem to be shared by samba does
not have to be on VFAT partition. Indeed that would simply
impose a performance hit for no benefit. The partition should
be a standard linux one (ext[23]).

In particular, using VFAT does not do anything for oplocks.

Ben.

--
Leedsnet - The information resource for Leeds and the West Riding
< URL:http://www.leedsnet.com/ >