[Wylug-help] Strange disk problems

Bentony@leedsnet.com Bentony at leedsnet.com
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 19:14:08 +0100

At 12:31 AM 8/21/00, David Pashley wrote:
>I have a strange problem. I have a large drive as hda (30Gb). I can not
>write to hda7. Below is the output of 'p' in fdisk
>
>[...]
>Any ideas would be fantastic.
>
>BTW
>Linux David 2.4.0-test7 #3 SMP Sat Aug 19 01:26:23 BST 2000 i686 unknown
>running debian woody 2.3

This is a tricky one. I am not certain that is anything serious, but you might
want to make a complete backup of your disk, or at least your data before
going any further.

You may get more help if you study the linux-hardware list, and its FAQ.

Not experiencing the problems myself, I haven't necessarily checked
the resources as thoroughly as you are motivated to do; but it seems
that the only likely cause for that combination of error messages
is an attempt to write beyond the end of a partition.

To pursue this further you would need to study the ide-cd.c file in the
kernel source (and perhaps others, but you get the drift).

Another thought is that this sort of thing can be specific to kernels,
particularly kernels with issues; you might want to move back to
say, 2.2.14 - check with kernel mailing list.

Whilst it is not essential if you are a expert, you ought to reserve
fsck for use on unmounted drives. badblocks will do what you want.

Sorry I can't be more helpful; please let us know how you get on.

Ben.