[Wylug-help] DBI fails now my home directory's gone :(

Bentony@leedsnet.com Bentony at leedsnet.com
Wed, 06 Sep 2000 18:22:50 +0100

At 06:32 PM 8/10/00, Wills wrote:

>   Following physical relocation of our lab machines and reallocation
>of IP addresses, I can't get my home directory from the server any
>more (`mount -at nfs` => "server: Permission denied"). Subsequently
>I'm trying to run a Perl/DBI script directly on the server, where
>the DBI bit doesn't work unmodified.

Is the permission denied because the exporting server checks
the IP number?

>   Desktop machine: SuSE6.4eval(2.2.16-SMP on intel).
>   Server `uname -a`: "SunOS vwssun2 5.5.1 Generic sun4u sparc
>SUNW,Ultra-1"; `showrev -p` suggests "No patches are installed".
>

>   When on the local host, the Perl-to-mySQL script fails to connect
>with the 'dsn' left as-was. I get the same effect ("Access denied")
>from the command line with:
>         mysql --host=`hostname` --user=vspadmin -p
>         mysql --host=`hostname`.`domainname` --user=vspadmin -p
>
>   This works if:
>         I use "--host=vwssun2[.vws.co.uk]" from any other machine
>         I remove the "--host=..." argument.
>         I remove the 'hostname=' part of the dsn in the script.
>

>   Looking for two solutions therefore... in the latter (mySQL)
>case, do I *have* to customise the dsn according to which machine

I am not sure what you mean by dsn; the problem may be that the
access tables in MySQL are no longer in accordance with reality.
Get some strong sweet tea and read the documentation several
times. It may fall into place. If not, see if you can't work out a
cookbook solution from the examples given.

Ben.