[Wylug-help] Linux and Dual Processors ? Triple booting ?

NigelMetheringhamNigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk NigelMetheringhamNigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:40:40 +0100

[Hmm.. more UK Suse people appearing... interesting development]

ogley@suse.co.uk said:
> The ABit BP6 mainboard is the dual-processor freak's friend :)
> As for dual processor Linux, all distros *should* support it, and even
> if their default kernels are uniprocessor, you can compile an SMP one.

Yup - I have one working fine here.  The BP6 can be unstable (hint,
make sure the green heatsink on the board is well attached and add some
heatsink compound under it.  Ideally add a (486 sized) fan as well).

Red Hat installs out of the box to this and autodetects it as
multiprocessor so puts the default kernel to be an SMP kernel.  I would
expect Mandrake to be very similar since to quote someone earlier in
the week "I believe the rawhide errata are currently available on CD
called 'mandrake 7.1'".

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk ]