[Wylug-help] Re: Linux and Dual Processors ? Triple booting ?

DrAVLeBlancLeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk DrAVLeBlancLeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:40:25 +0100

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 12:01:07PM +0100, wylug-help-request@wylug.org.uk wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 at 04:11:45 -0700 (PDT), Nick Brown <n1ck_brown@yahoo.com>:
> I'm a linux newbie in York, and have two Celeron
> 550Mhz processors which Win9x cannot handle. Does
> anyone know which versions of linux support dual
> processors ?

Ever since it became possible to run SMP kernels on single processor
systems, I think all distributions have shipped SMP kernels as
standard.

> PS. Anyone tried (successfully) to have three
> partitions with Win9x, Win2k and Linux ? with a boot
> loader ? (Can Grub handle this ?) Anyone any advice ?

Yes, GRUB can handle this; you need to use the hide/unhide
commands to conceal the unused win9x partition from win2k,
and makeactive in either case.  That is, assuming you have
windows 98 on /dev/hda2, windows 2000 on /dev/hda3, and
/dev/hda4 is an extended partition with Linux on /dev/hda6,
with a tiny partition on /dev/hda1 mounted as /boot:

     Title     Linux
     root      (hd0,5)
     kernel    (hd0,0)/vmlinuz

     Title     Windows 98
     unhide    (hd0,1)
     root      (hd0,1)
     makeactive
     chainloader +1

     Title     Windows 2000
     hide      (hd0,1)
     root      (hd0,2)
     makeactive
     chainloader +1

where the linux kernel appears on your Linux system as /boot/vmlinuz.
Note that all this is also doable in LILO as well; see the section
on change rules in the Readme file.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk