[Wylug-help] Networking Linux PCs

David Pashley wylug-help at davidpashley.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 14:09:03 +0000

On Saturday 30 November 2002 6:48 am, Philip Wyett wrote:
> --
>
> On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 11:38, John Hodrien wrote:

> > But doesn't BSD + Debian have the same kind of reputation?
>
> Never tried BSD, but Debian is a nightmare in my experience. One day I
> will lookup who actually was the bitter and twisted person who came up
> with dselect. :)

Ian Jackson. Lives in Cambridge. Reasonably nice bloke. I could forward your
comments next tiem I see him if you want, but I'm sure he has heard them all
before.

apt-get install aptitude. You can even play minesweeper while you wait.

> > > The RedHat installer is more complicated than the FreeBSD installer &
> > > because it's got whizzy graphics and the like, it doesn't really make
> > > it any easier to use - newbie or otherwise.
> >
> > I disagree.  Newbie perceived easiness rates a mouse click as easier than
> > right-right-return.
>
> I agree with John here.

Same.

> Red Hat does get a wide enough release as beta/test releases if you are
> willing to keep up with the Red Hat bugzilla and the rawhide beta/test
> rpm/src rpm releases.

Same with debian testing or unstable.

> > > Then compare and contrast apt or ports to RPM and they're in a
> > > different league. The administrative overhead is huge in comparison,
> > > something anybody, let alone a newbie, could well do without. RPM
> > > should be dumped - it's grossly antiquated, inadequate and generally
> > > hellish.
> >
> > I don't entirely understand why the administrative overhead is huge.  If
> > I use what RedHat supply, what problems do I have?
> >

> Looking at distro's is very _very_ subjective, and I like to look at the
> subtle things which distinguish them. If you have an AMD Athlon CPU and
> do 'uname -p' on Red Hat 8.0 it will return the 'Athlon' string. Whereas
> if you do the same command on Mandrake 9.0 or many other distros, it
> will return the string 'unknown'.

This was recently changed in sid, but soon changed back again.

- --
David Pashley
david@davidpashley.com