[Wylug-help] Networking Linux PCs

Philip Wyett philipwyett at dsl.pipex.com
01 Dec 2002 18:44:56 +0000

--
On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 14:09, David Pashley wrote:

> On Saturday 30 November 2002 6:48 am, Philip Wyett wrote:
> > --
> >
> > On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 11:38, John Hodrien wrote:
>

> > > But doesn't BSD + Debian have the same kind of reputation?
> >
> > Never tried BSD, but Debian is a nightmare in my experience. One day I
> > will lookup who actually was the bitter and twisted person who came up
> > with dselect. :)
> >
> Ian Jackson. Lives in Cambridge. Reasonably nice bloke. I could forward your
> comments next tiem I see him if you want, but I'm sure he has heard them all
> before.

He may indeed be a very nice bloke, but that has nothing todo with
'dselect's obfuscated design and implementation. Also it directly
following the very different 'Task Installer' in the setup process of
Debian, which makes it more confusing to the newbie.

Honestly if the Debian people want to make the installer easier and
still not move to a GUI installer. They should drop 'dselect' and maybe
extend the 'Task Installer' for individial package selection etc.

> apt-get install aptitude. You can even play minesweeper while you wait.

Waiting for an install - never! :) I personal use a single DVD and the
kickstart configurator, which usually leaves me with complete Red Hat
installs inside of 15 mins.

Regards

Philip Wyett

--