[Wylug-help] Networking Linux PCs

Frank Shute Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 03:30:59 +0000

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 07:48:18PM +0000, David Pashley wrote:

> > FreeBSD kernel users = FreeBSD users
> >
> Not quite true considering Debian/BSD.

Forgot about it. I don't know how many use it though.

> > > You can't just argue scale as being why RPM sucks.  If RPMS
> > > covered all 7000+ ports, what would your argument against it be?  It's
> > > not that hard.
> >
> > If it's not that hard and it's beneficial to do it, then why don't
> > RedHat do it? Gentoo have managed to pull their heads out of their
> > butts and do it.
> >
> /me notes debian has over 10,000 packages.
>
> david root% grep-available -s Package . | sort -u | wc -l
>   10265

I guess Debian will have more users than FreeBSD & hence more people
able to maintain stuff.

> > > Ahhh but you're not arguing against RPM now.  You're arguing about one of
> > > the command line tools you've used.  apt-get for RPM, urpmi, up2date?
> >
> apt-get for rpm is worthless if you don't have the quality behind the packages
> you are fetching.

My point precisely. There's no point having any of the tools unless
you have the infrastructure behind them.

> I believe debian can upgrade from pre-libc5 to sid with no (very few)
> problems.

That's good & how it should be with an easily maintainable OS.

> > I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you're wasting your time
> > shooting the messenger. 5 yrs ago RH was better than NT4 by a mile but
> > it's made no noticeable progress whereas the MS systems have. A
> > desktop XP system is trivial to maintain for a newbie or otherwise as
> > compared to a RH system.
> >
> Although XP has other issues.

I wasn't going to get into those ;)

> > FYI though, with FreeBSD code being in OSX and the MS offerings you
> > can argue that FreeBSD has got a greater user base than not just
> > RedHat but Linux itself.
> >
> I assume you are talking about IP stack among others. IIRC the IP stack in
> NT/w2k/XP is not derived from BSD. There may be BSD code in some of the unix
> systems for Windows.

On this part-time NT4 box:

for file in $(ls /mnt/dos/WINNT/system32/ | grep EXE)
do
if (cat /mnt/dos/WINNT/system32/$file | grep Regents); then
echo "$file"
else
  :
fi
done

Binary file (standard input) matches
FINGER.EXE
Binary file (standard input) matches
FTP.EXE
Binary file (standard input) matches
NSLOOKUP.EXE
Binary file (standard input) matches
RCP.EXE
Binary file (standard input) matches
RSH.EXE

I must try some of them out sometime and see if they work.

> As for OS X, I'm not sure that there is that much left that is recongisable as
> BSD. There is also quite a bit of GNU in OS X.

I thought there was quite a bit of FreeBSD userland but I didn't know
there was any GPL in it.

--

 Frank

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

 "There's plenty of women involved in the Linux community, but I would
 imagine few of them are hanging out with a bunch of stinky
 sandal-clad freaks in some basement, reading Linux Journal and
 throwing darts at a picture of BillG."

     - assessment of LUGs on k5