[Wylug-help] Networking Linux PCs

David Pashley wylug-help at davidpashley.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:18:51 +0000

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 3:30 am, Frank Shute wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 07:48:18PM +0000, David Pashley wrote:
> > > FreeBSD kernel users = FreeBSD users
> >
> > Not quite true considering Debian/BSD.
>
> Forgot about it. I don't know how many use it though.

The debian-bsd mailing list has really picked up over the last month or so.

> > > If it's not that hard and it's beneficial to do it, then why don't
> > > RedHat do it? Gentoo have managed to pull their heads out of their
> > > butts and do it.
> >
> > /me notes debian has over 10,000 packages.
> >
> > david root% grep-available -s Package . | sort -u | wc -l
> >   10265
>
> I guess Debian will have more users than FreeBSD & hence more people
> able to maintain stuff.

There is around 1000 maintainers of various levels of commitment.

> > I believe debian can upgrade from pre-libc5 to sid with no (very few)
> > problems.
>
> That's good & how it should be with an easily maintainable OS.

As pointed out you may have to upgrade to each distrubution first and not do
it on one jump.

> > > FYI though, with FreeBSD code being in OSX and the MS offerings you
> > > can argue that FreeBSD has got a greater user base than not just
> > > RedHat but Linux itself.
> >
> > I assume you are talking about IP stack among others. IIRC the IP stack
> > in NT/w2k/XP is not derived from BSD. There may be BSD code in some of
> > the unix systems for Windows.
>
> On this part-time NT4 box:
>
> for file in $(ls /mnt/dos/WINNT/system32/ | grep EXE)
> do
> if (cat /mnt/dos/WINNT/system32/$file | grep Regents); then
> echo "$file"
> else
>
> fi
> done
>
> Binary file (standard input) matches
> FINGER.EXE
> Binary file (standard input) matches
> FTP.EXE
> Binary file (standard input) matches
> NSLOOKUP.EXE
> Binary file (standard input) matches
> RCP.EXE
> Binary file (standard input) matches
> RSH.EXE

That may be an interesting exercise to perform on XP or W2K.

> I must try some of them out sometime and see if they work.
>
> > As for OS X, I'm not sure that there is that much left that is
> > recongisable as BSD. There is also quite a bit of GNU in OS X.
>
> I thought there was quite a bit of FreeBSD userland but I didn't know
> there was any GPL in it.

There is certianly gnuchess, but I understand apple ship the gnu compiler
toolchain.

- --
David Pashley
david@davidpashley.com