[Wylug-help] jdbc

Phil Driscoll phil at dialsolutions.co.uk
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:41:49 +0000

On Friday 06 December 2002 8:44 am, mikeb@gbdirect.co.uk wrote:
> As far as I remember - it was several years ago - I downloaded the JDBC
> library (.class files) for MySQL then from my Java application, accessed
> MySQL without further ado.
>
> From what I recollect, using the JDBC interface from Java it then talks
> directly to MySQL using the standard MySQL wire-level protocol. In other
> words, there is absolutely no need for ODBC/JDBC on the server side, just
> the client.

Perhaps this is where my confusion lies. I was under the impression the driver
lived on the server (though why I thought that, I don't know!), but it
clearly has nothing which looks like it sits around listening for
connections. If I try again with the correct mental model, maybe I'll have
more luck.

Cheers
--
Phil Driscoll