[Wylug-help] jdbc

mikeb@gbdirect.co.uk mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:44:52 +0000

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 08:19:59AM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 08:33:57AM +0000, Phil Driscoll wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Do we have anyone on the list who has successfully played with jdbc?
> > At the Leeds school where I help out, we have an all Linux server environment,
> > and a mixture of Windows and Linux desktops all running OpenOffice.org.
> >
> > In order to provide database functionality for OOo I need to connect the
> > clients via jdbc to the MySQL server which we already have. I've downloaded
> > and installed the MySQL jdbc driver, but have failed to understand from the
> > documentation how the jdbc world hangs together. I've googled for howtos and
> > so on, without any real enlightenment.

As far as I remember - it was several years ago - I downloaded the JDBC library
(.class files) for MySQL then from my Java application, accessed MySQL without
further ado.

>From what I recollect, using the JDBC interface from Java it then talks directly
to MySQL using the standard MySQL wire-level protocol. In other words, there is
absolutely no need for ODBC/JDBC on the server side, just the client.

It really did seem quite simple. Unfortunately I didn't keep the source of the
(very) simple application I knocked up to test it.

Mike