proxy ARPing - was Re: [Wylug-help] Possible IP subnet conflict

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
19 Dec 2002 11:22:30 +0000

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 11:01, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> one possible solution I've thought of for this problem is proxy ARPing.  Would
> it be possible to get the Linux firewall respond to ARP requests for the
> remote 10.1.0.x IP addresses, and then get it to forward them to the remote
> end.  In this way, there would be no need to change any routing information.

That certainly can be done - and I have done it - but only for single IP
addresses.  You would need to put a full set (ie up to 255) arp entries
into the table - probably not a problem, but get any bigger and it would
be.

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel.Metheringham@InTechnology.co.uk ]