[Wylug-help] Ambient Hardware Modem

Frank Shute Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:25:20 +0000

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:04:26PM -0000, Steve Waggitt wrote:

> --
> Hello there.
>
> I've just installed a 56kbps Ambient hardware modem and although it
> works fine in Windows it didn't come with any drivers for Linux.
> Could you point me in the right direction and advise me as to how I
> go about setting the thing up.  I'm running a hybrid Linux system,
> ZipSlack 8.0 installed on a FAT partition with various Slackware 8.1
> packages (I do intend installing RedHat 8.0 properly).

Have a look at the Modem-HOWTO and PPP-HOWTO. Use minicom & write a
chat script is the hard way. Do a search on Google for your ISP and
`chat script linux' is the easy way. Hopefully somebody will have done
the hard work for you and described how they connected to your ISP
with Linux.

A page I wrote on connecting to Zetnet might give you a few pointers:

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/misc/zetnet.html

There are various tools you can use to connect such as yawmppp and
wvdial but I prefer the hard way as you then understand what's going
on. I think KDE and Gnome have their own utilities - could be wrong as
I don't use either and you might not use them either.

> Also, while I'm here, any ideas as to why my system won't print to
> my Epson Stylus Color 480 parallel printer?  I've followed the man
> pages and the HOWTOs but to no avail.

You have to tell us more. Could be a module, driver or filter
problem....or something else. Anything in /var/log/messages about
modules?

As Dave says it could be worth biting the bullet and installing your
RedHat distro unless you like hacking about; which is no bad thing
IMHO as you then find your way around the system. It's worthwhile also
buying a book if you're new to Linux, I recommend `Running Linux' pub.
O'Reilly.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

"Who cares? It's all a bunch of tree hugging hippie crap anyways..."

	 - Professor of Humanities, Dr. Eric Cartman.