[Wylug-help] Kernel building (RH8 install)

James Holden james at jamesholden.co.uk
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:10:05 +0000

Quoting sam@oaksroyd.co.uk:

> Hi Guys,
> I'm having a few problems building a kernel/modules using an "off the
> shelf"
> install of RH8 (Psyche).
> I've made sure it installs the kernel dev/src RPM and a "make menuconfig"
> followed by "make dep" and "make bzImage" all seems fine, but if I try
> and "make modules" the build bombs badly, complaining about undefined
> functions
> and such like.
> (All shell only none of this X lark, I'm supposed to be building a
> firewall/router)
> Am I missing something stupid and obvious?
> Cheers,
> Sam

Sam,

You need to me more specific, I'm afraid. Please post the error messages. You
may have chosen some build options which are mutually exclusive, for instance.

Also, the stock kernel should be find for a firewall/router, as all the things
you may need will already be compiled in/as modules. IIRC Redhat 8 has iptables,
cbq and lots of NIC drivers already compiled. Unless you're trying to do some
really odd stuff, you probably don't need to rebuild the kernel.

James

--
James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom
james-at-jamesholden.co.uk