[Wylug-help] Kernel building (RH8 install)

sam.clayton@dsl.pipex.com sam.clayton at dsl.pipex.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:57:22 +0000

James,

> Sam,
>
> You need to me more specific, I'm afraid. Please post the error
> messages. You
> may have chosen some build options which are mutually exclusive, for
> instance.

What I was really after was some pointers as to wether my archaic Linux
knowledge had been superceeded, at the moment it complains when building CIPE,
but if I take that out of the build it just complains elsewhere.

maybe I'm being naive and hopeing it would point out to me something like
mutually exclusive selections....

I've never had any trouble doing this sort of thing a few years ago (back when
I ran SuSE).......

> Also, the stock kernel should be find for a firewall/router, as all the
> things
> you may need will already be compiled in/as modules. IIRC Redhat 8 has
> iptables,
> cbq and lots of NIC drivers already compiled. Unless you're trying to do
> some
> really odd stuff, you probably don't need to rebuild the kernel.

I'm trying to make sure the kernel/modules for PPPoATM are available so I can
get connected to ADSL on one side of the box and my internal network on the
other.
When I start PPPD at the moment it complains about not being able to find
the .so file associated with PPPoATM (can't remember specifics.... at work...
no access to my boxen)