[Wylug-help] Setting up a home network

J Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:29:36 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Felix Ulrich-Oltean wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a desktop with Mandrake 8.2 and an old slowish laptop with
> Debian Woody.  The mdk box is connected to the Internet with a modem
> and I would like the deb laptop to see the desktop box and use it as a
> gateway to the online world - where do I start?  I'm fairly clueless
> so any starter docs would be great - I think what I'm trying to do is
> simple, but I haven't got it working yet.

See the IP-Masquerading-HOWTO and it describes the process easily.

> The Mandrake box has an ethernet card, as does the laptop and I've
> been given a crossover network cable.
> I tried using Mandrake's fancy "connection sharing" wizard, and it
> installs dhcp-server and caching-nameserver, but my laptop doesn't see
> anything.

Oooh.  Not tried the wizard I'm afraid so I can't comment.  Have you changed
the laptop to use dhcp?  Otherwise just try setting the gateway to be the same
as the mandrake box (assuming it's managed to set up the IP-Masquerading
malarky correctly).

jh

--
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one."
                                                     -- Aurelius