[Wylug-help] PostresSQL under Mandrake question

Corrado & Rina c.topi at Bradford.ac.uk
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:15:00 +0100

Hy all,

I always used MySQL as DBMS.

Now, for a courses I am running, I would like to ask the students to use
PostgresSQL, which apparently is more compliant with SQL:1999
specifications.

After a successful installation of version 7.2 under MDK 9.0, the
problems began.

How do you connect to the server??? I am using psql line client, and
after following step by step the never-ending PGSQL documentation and
the less awkward MDK documentation, but  still I am at the same point. I
create users, but the server which is finely running, does not accept
connection. Furthermore, I did not find anywere the name/password of the
default server administrator (well, the name should be postgres, but the
password??????????).

I am nearly fed up ... I begin to understand why MySQL has been so
succesful and PosgreSQL ... a bit less ...

Corrado