[Wylug-help] Readonly option in hdparm

James Holden james at microcosmos.co.uk
Tue Aug 5 17:22:35 BST 2003

Jon Stockill wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Julian Church wrote:
>

>>I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think on a CD and DVD it has to be an
>>ISO9660 filesystem; I am sure I haven't seen anything else on CD.  Are you
>>sure you can't manage without XFS? It's main selling point seems to be
>>journaling which (as I understand it) is redundant if you have a read-only
>>file system.
>

> You can use any filesystem you like - provided the system reading it knows
> how to handle it.
>
> (ISTR SGI IRIX cds used to use EFS)

Yes, they still do. Historically, the PROM thinks it's booting off a
hard disk. That's why they need a CDROM drive capable of 512 byte
sectors, rather than the usual 2048 bytes.

You can put any filesystem you like into a track on a CD. ISO9660 is
optimised for slow access times as it was made for the job.

EFS is the predecessor to XFS, by the way.

James