[Wylug-help] SuSE Linux Question(s)

Greg Sheard greg at ecsc.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 10:11:53 BST 2003

--
On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 08:31, PhilLaszkowicz at halifax.co.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently run a Open Source development organisation and I try
> and do all my work on Linux. The main distribution I'm using is
> currently SuSE Professional 8.2 (licensed and legal SCO :-) ).
> I'm still relatively new to Linux, and although I can navigate
> around it comfortably, there are issues I still have:

Well, I've never touched SuSE, but I'll try to help with some of these.

> 1. I'm trying to change my username and although it appears to
> work using YaST2 (user login changed and home directory changed)
> I still get issues when attempting to do things like mounting my
> DVD-ROM to play CDs on XMMS.  Are there other things that need
> changing and if so, what are they?

No idea on this.

> 2. My printer never seems to work correctly.  I've got a USB HP
> (pre-Compaq) PSC750 printer connected directly into my tower.
> With RedHat 8.1 Professional the CUPS never worked and there seemed
> no other way to print, so when I began using SuSE I tried again and
> this time, the printer responds, but when it does print something
> out, it's usually junk.  I'm considering getting a new printer, but
> I'm unsure that'll make any sort of difference.  Plus I would like
> to get the Scanning features working as well.

As (1).

> 3. How on EARTH do you produce shapes on GIMP?? All I seem able to do
> is manipulate already existing images. I'd like to do PSP style images
> from scratch... is it possible?

And again...

> 4. Is there any way I can share a directory with one of my other
> machines when I'm only connected via a Router? I don't think so, but
> worth a q.

Yep. Lots of different ways to share directories. In that setup, you may
be best off with straight scp, but there's many other solutions (like
Samba, if you really want!)

> 5. Is there any way to export my emails from Ximian Evolution 1.2.1 to
> a universally standardized format so I can back them up and not rely on
> Ximian to be able to read them? (No way I want to get into a proprietary
> technology...)

Yep. Simply right-click each folder, choose Properties, and set the
format to Maildir. Voila, text files, one per message. BTW, I'd
recommend upgrading your Evolution if possible.

HTH, HANWE

Greg.

--
"Somewhere there's a recording of me trying to get a scale out of a
cornetto."