[Wylug-help] SuSE Linux Question(s)

PhilLaszkowicz at halifax.co.uk PhilLaszkowicz at halifax.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 08:31:23 BST 2003

Hi,

I currently run a Open Source development organisation and I try and do all my work on Linux. The main distribution I'm using is currently SuSE Professional 8.2 (licensed and legal SCO :-) ).  I'm still relatively new to Linux, and although I can navigate around it comfortably, there are issues I still have:

1. I'm trying to change my username and although it appears to work using YaST2 (user login changed and home directory changed) I still get issues when attempting to do things like mounting my DVD-ROM to play CDs on XMMS.  Are there other things that need changing and if so, what are they?

2. My printer never seems to work correctly.  I've got a USB HP (pre-Compaq) PSC750 printer connected directly into my tower.  With RedHat 8.1 Professional the CUPS never worked and there seemed no other way to print, so when I began using SuSE I tried again and this time, the printer responds, but when it does print something out, it's usually junk.  I'm considering getting a new printer, but I'm unsure that'll make any sort of difference.  Plus I would like to get the Scanning features working as well.

3. How on EARTH do you produce shapes on GIMP?? All I seem able to do is manipulate already existing images. I'd like to do PSP style images from scratch... is it possible?

4. Is there any way I can share a directory with one of my other machines when I'm only connected via a Router? I don't think so, but worth a q.

5. Is there any way to export my emails from Ximian Evolution 1.2.1 to a universally standardized format so I can back them up and not rely on Ximian to be able to read them? (No way I want to get into a proprietary technology...)

6. No more, I'll leave you to ponder on those for a while!

Phil Laszkowicz
Developer
HBOS - RBIT - Mortgage & Intermediary Sales

HX
Dean Clough
G1 Corporation St.
Halifax HX3 5AH

Ext. x35580
Post Ref. DC/G1/RBIT/M&IS/PJL

Halifax plc, Registered in England No. 2367076.  Registered Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2RG. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority.  Represents only the Halifax Financial Services Marketing Group for the purposes of advising on and selling life assurance, pensions and collective investment scheme business.  Switchboard 01422 333333.