[Wylug-help] Samba Problem

James Holden james at microcosmos.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 15:58:44 BST 2003

Martyn Ranyard wrote:
[snip]

>>I have RH9 running Samba service
>>We only have about 12 PC's all running W2k
>>There is no security on the Samba.conf, and all users are set up as
>>Administrator
>>

>That's something that you should sort soonish! :-)

Agreed!

>>When browsing on to the Linux server from my pc I have no problem!
>>But, when anyone else uses it (and it's got everything on it now and is
>>live!) they have major problems with speed - ie. in moving around the
>>directories
>>It can take a minute or more to open a directory, this is causing SEVERE
>>frustration!
>>

>Okay, some pointers :
>W2k seems to like DNS to work properly. i.e. workstation1 should be able to
>resolve server1 by DNS
>I take it named is running - that's what does the WINS addressing.

Named doesn't do WINS. Named is a DNS server, or were you talking about
nmbd?

Win2k *does* like DNS to be functioning properly, including reverse
lookups but it's not essential. WINS is what you want really. You can
enable the WINS server built into Samba by uncommenting the line in
smb.conf, but make sure you point the Windows clients to it either by
setting the IP address peoperly in their network settings, or by
providing it via your DHCP server, if you use one.

>oplocks and locking options - look in the smb.conf man page and basically mess
>with those.
>socket options also are worth messing with.
>try making a single user and see if it makes any difference - it may be
>username/password stuff.

Your slow performance may well be down the a combination of lack of
WINS/DNS and the fact you're all using the same username and password.
I'd recommend setting up the encrypted passwords in Samba (set them with
smbpasswd). This will secure things better, and you don't need to tweak
the registry on the clients like you do if you want to use plaintext
passwords.

Let me know if you're still having problems, Andrew.

Regards,

James