[Wylug-help] Samba Problem

Martyn Ranyard martyn at syn.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 15:44:16 BST 2003

Quoting Andrew J Foster <andrew.foster at calder-comms.co.uk>:

> Hello all,
>
> As a new user to Linux I'm having a major problem which I hope someone may
> be able to help with.

Let's try then...

> I have RH9 running Samba service
> We only have about 12 PC's all running W2k
> There is no security on the Samba.conf, and all users are set up as
> Administrator

That's something that you should sort soonish! :-)

> When browsing on to the Linux server from my pc I have no problem!
> But, when anyone else uses it (and it's got everything on it now and is
> live!) they have major problems with speed - ie. in moving around the
> directories
> It can take a minute or more to open a directory, this is causing SEVERE
> frustration!

Okay, some pointers :
W2k seems to like DNS to work properly. i.e. workstation1 should be able to
resolve server1 by DNS
I take it named is running - that's what does the WINS addressing.
oplocks and locking options - look in the smb.conf man page and basically mess
with those.
socket options also are worth messing with.
try making a single user and see if it makes any difference - it may be
username/password stuff.

> I look forward to any comments.

HTH

--