[Wylug-help] Input/output error when trying to read an audio CD

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 13:56:35 BST 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Felix Ulrich-Oltean wrote:

> I'm running Debian unstable, with a 2.4.20 kernel.  I have an LG
> DVD-ROM drive (ATAPI IDE).  Reading data CDs works fine, but when I
> try to read an audio CD, either with "head /dev/cdrom" or with grip, I
> get:
>
> head: error reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error

Maybe i'm not understanding what you are doing, but is "head" here the
usual unix head utility? If so, what do you think you should get?

Anyway try loading cdda2wav or paranoia and check out their manual pages.

Also see the CDROM howto, especially

 http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO/x1186.html#AEN1222