[Wylug-help] Windows Archive Tag

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 06:40:49 BST 2003

I use batch files (in a cmd/shell/dosbox) to copy files to a linux box -
using

attrib -r -h -s

ensures tags are removed, which is better for both systems.
(I remove the tags from the source, before copy.

Roger Greenwood

James Holden wrote:

> Dominic Liversidge wrote:
>
> >im transfering files from windows to linux but when i
> >put them on CD or zip them they have the windows tag
> >archive (like the read only and hidden tag) which
> >means they wont function correctly for a program i am
> >using how do i get rid of the tag please
> >
> >=====
> >>From Dom...
> >
> Can you please elaborate a little?
>
> In Windows, you can select the files you want to alter, then right-click
> and select properties, then un-tick the archive checkbox. This will
> remove the archive attrbute from all the files.
>
> What brain-dead program is paying attention to the archive tag anyway?
>
> Note though, that Linux has no concept of the archive tag.
>
> HTH
>
> James

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that no one
appreciates how difficult it was.