[Wylug-help] Cyrus IMAP and authentication

Geoff Richards qef at ungwe.org
Wed Aug 20 14:37:36 BST 2003

Hi,

Unfortunately I'm having to set up Cyrus IMAP on SuSE 8.1 and
it's proving to be a bit fiddly.

My current problem is it refuses to recognise my authentication.
I've been testing it with various different things, and I now have
the POP server accepting me, but neither mutt (from a different host)
nor 'imtest' (on the same host) are allowed to log in to IMAP.

Here is the entire mutt configuration I've been testing with:

   set imap_user=fred
   set imap_pass=bar

And I've also tried adding this, which makes no difference:

   set imap_authenticators="digest-md5:cram-md5:login"

I run mutt like this:

   mutt -n -F imap-muttrc -f imap://foo.gbdirect.co.uk/

All of which I think should work, but it fails to log in and on the
server I get this stuff in the logs:

   Aug 20 13:40:56 ws11 imapd[21630]: unknown password verifier
   Aug 20 13:40:56 ws11 imapd[21630]: badlogin: tiger.gbdirect.co.uk[192.168.0.128] plaintext fred SASL(-4): no mechanism available: checkpass failed

Just what does "unknown password verifier" mean, and where is it coming
from?  I've grepped the cyrus-imap and cyrus-sasl source code for that
message, but couldn't find it.

Anyway, if anyone's got any suggestions it would be much appreciated...

   qef

--
Geoff Richards - GBdirect - http://development.gbdirect.co.uk/