[Wylug-help] SuSE 8.1

Daniel Walker danielwalker at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 1 09:09:21 GMT 2003

Paul Grenyer wrote:
<snip>
> Is there somewhere I can download the ISOs for SuSE 9.0? I've been
> looking on some of the FTP servers, but I can't seem to track down the
> ISO's for 8.2 either. In fact so far I haven't found any SuSE ISOs. I
> did try the FTP installation yesterday, but my connection is a bit flaky
> and the installation doesn't pick up the connection once it's restored.
You can download a Suse "Live Evaluation" CD, but you can't install from it.

OTOH, Amazon had SuSE 8.2 Pro for 20 quid last time I looked, and it's
also been on the front of a magazine (Linux Format, IIRC) fairly recently.

I will recommend Apt4rpm with Suse; I've found it to be a great
improvement, although as Phil pointed out the Online Update is much
better from 8.2 on. Apt is especially good for stuff like MPlayer that
doesn't have official SuSE packages. Theoretically, you should be able
to do an apt-get dist-upgrade from 8.1 to 9.0 - but I haven't tried that.

Dan
Link:
http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/