[Wylug-help] SuSE 8.1

Paul Grenyer paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 09:34:01 GMT 2003

Hi

> I'm a Debian guy myself, but I did a SuSE install (8.2) on a machine
> at work a few weeks back.  I was very impressed with the
> installer--the best I've seen yet, though the Mandrake one is also top
> notch.  After installation, I was also happy with the "user
> experience" after I first logged in.

I've got Debian on DVD and was thinking about maybe giving it a go. I've
also got Gentoo 14., that I might try.

As for Mandrake, I only got the installation CDs to boot successfully once
and then it gave up in the early stages of the installation. :-(

> I think that Fedora is a very good idea, and I think that although
> RedHat have been heavily criticised for their recent decisions, this
> will pay off in a big way if they can get a "community" to develop
> around it.  It's well worth watching.

The idea of it being left to a random "community" bothers me. Having said
that I am downloading it as we speak and I am hoping it will get around my
hardware problems as I expect it will come with the latest Kernel, rather
than having to update to it.

Regards
Paul

Paul Grenyer