[Wylug-help] Satellite Receiver Test (Off Topic)

Philip Wyett philip at wyett.net
Wed Dec 31 07:10:36 GMT 2003

--
On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 22:26, tom smith wrote:
> Hey
>
> How very strange! (I promise this will get back on topic (both linux and the
> problem soon!))
>
> My boss at work is in to his European satelite, and as I'm the only geek at
> work he's always asking me questions. About three months ago he started
> asking me more and more about linux as he had been eyeing up a new receiver
> which runs on a embedded linux system. Three months later, after a bit of
> playing about, it's up and running and a lot more stable and 'successful'
> than his previous models (which were all 'Top-of-the-Range').
>
> (back to topic)
> I'll have a word with him on Friday, when I next see him, and see if we can
> help you, he's got a few spare receivers and i'm sure he'll be sympathetic
> to your problems.
>
> And even though three months ago I knew nothing about satelites (bar BSkyB)
> if you do decided to get a new box I highly recommend you look at Dreambox(
> http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/Bereiche/Produkte/DM7000_featurelist.php)
> as I was really impressed with the features
>
> - complete mini linux OS (busybox toolkit)
> - able to add Hard drive for storage, recording
> - 10/100 ethernet built in (telnet, web-interface, ftp, video/audio
> streaming, auto updates)
> - upgradable ROM images, loads about too adding more features and stability.
> - software emu-CAM's, which work a lot better and faster (and a whole lot
> cheaper) than the hardware ones!
>
> Hope this helps (and no i dont work for them!)
>
> Tom
>
> PS David I will email you directly friday evening when I have spoken to my
> boss.

Hi,

This is a nice box with many features, but the leveraging an Open Source
OS then having a Windows only closed source flash software tends to
annoy me a little. A couple of down points to this hardware:

- ATA 66 rather than Sky+ hardware which is ATA 133. Though on plus side
  for this hardware, it supports up to a 120Gb HDD (which is around 60
  hours of recordings, if my sums are right), whereas Sky+ hardware is
  40Gb currently.
- The twin LNB is in one unit will be an expensive repair/replacement if
  it goes wrong and it will eventually, as no matter what type of
  hardware it is LNB circuit/Tuner faults are always the most common. :)

Regards

Philip Wyett

Email: philip at wyett.net
Website: http://www.wyett.net