[Wylug-help] Satellite Receiver Test (Off Topic)

tom smith tombotty at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 22:26:49 GMT 2003

Hey

How very strange! (I promise this will get back on topic (both linux and the
problem soon!))

My boss at work is in to his European satelite, and as I'm the only geek at
work he's always asking me questions. About three months ago he started
asking me more and more about linux as he had been eyeing up a new receiver
which runs on a embedded linux system. Three months later, after a bit of
playing about, it's up and running and a lot more stable and 'successful'
than his previous models (which were all 'Top-of-the-Range').

(back to topic)
I'll have a word with him on Friday, when I next see him, and see if we can
help you, he's got a few spare receivers and i'm sure he'll be sympathetic
to your problems.

And even though three months ago I knew nothing about satelites (bar BSkyB)
if you do decided to get a new box I highly recommend you look at Dreambox(
http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/Bereiche/Produkte/DM7000_featurelist.php)
as I was really impressed with the features

- complete mini linux OS (busybox toolkit)
- able to add Hard drive for storage, recording
- 10/100 ethernet built in (telnet, web-interface, ftp, video/audio
streaming, auto updates)
- upgradable ROM images, loads about too adding more features and stability.
- software emu-CAM's, which work a lot better and faster (and a whole lot
cheaper) than the hardware ones!

Hope this helps (and no i dont work for them!)

Tom

PS David I will email you directly friday evening when I have spoken to my
boss.