[Wylug-help] Boot Question

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:16:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Roger Greenwood wrote:

> On a re-boot, the normal sequence only gets to "LIL" and then halts. I have
> to start with the CD/DVD boot, start the install, select the language, then
> after the hardware probe I can select the option to boot the installed
> system, which works fine. This happened again last night due to a power cut
> and my UPS not being up to the job for more than about 20 minutes. Although
> the problem has been with me for a long time now, it is not really too hard
> to live with because the machine stays on all the time. I would like to sort
> it though.

Rerun lilo (as root)?  I'm guessing that your lilo conf is correct mind...
Possible that it didn't get written properly the first time it got installed.

> Is this a hardware problem ?

Doubt it.

> Any ideas how to further diagnose/test/investigate/sort ?
>
> I am a still a Linux novice so nothing too clever please!!

Have a look at /etc/lilo.conf

as long as it has boot=/dev/hda and an entry for linux with root=/dev/hda5 I'd
guess it'd be fine.

jh

--
"Tact in audacity consists in knowing how far we may go too far."
                                                     -- Jean Cocteau