[Wylug-help] Boot Question

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.freeserve.co.uk
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:49:56 +0000

I am having a problem rebooting - using SuSE 8.1
Due, I suspect, to various updates over the years, I seem to have ended up
with the following unusual partition table :-

                    start    stop    description
/dev/hda1       1        1048      win95 extended (LBA)
/dev/hda5       1          3         linux  ext3   /boot
/dev/hda6       4          1011    linux  ext3   /
/dev/hda7      1012      1048    linux swap

this is all on an 8GB disc, as reported by siga.

/dev/hdc is still formatted for windows as originally supplied, although all
the windows crap has been deleted and it is just a second 8GB disc full of my
data and backup stuff (ok MP3's).

On a re-boot, the normal sequence only gets to "LIL" and then halts. I have to
start with the CD/DVD boot, start the install, select the language, then
after the hardware probe I can select the option to boot the installed
system, which works fine. This happened again last night due to a power cut
and my UPS not being up to the job for more than about 20 minutes. Although
the problem has been with me for a long time now, it is not really too hard
to live with because the machine stays on all the time. I would like to sort
it though.

Is this a hardware problem ?
Any ideas how to further diagnose/test/investigate/sort ?

I am a still a Linux novice so nothing too clever please!!

All comments appreciated,

Roger Greenwood.

--
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that no one
appreciates how difficult it was.