[Wylug-help] ADSL & CCL

Steve King steve at kingsteve.co.uk
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:12:16 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> My chairman's just come up to me asking about Broadband and I had to admi=
t I
> didn't have much of a clue.
>
> He's currently on Freeserve Pay-as-you-go so is he okay to stay with Free=
serve
> for the ADSL or are there issues here?

Have a look at adslguide.org - Pipex are pretty cheap and not too
unreliable (although, if he's a chairman he may not care about cost!),
and currently have a free activation offer I think.

If you go for the wires-only ADSL (which I suggest) you will need to buy
some microfilters, as a rule of thumb one per phone, but you can get
away with less if you have something like this (warning, asii art ahead,
and I can't do it well!)

    BT      micro  /-ADSL router
---MASTER---filter-
   SOCKET          \------ phone  /--- a phone of some sort
                          splitter\--- another phone or fax

> Also, everyone seems to want about =A380 up front for the router but when=
> looked at CCL they've got ADSL routers starting from about =A330.  He's u=
sing
> WinXP

You probably do want a router over a modem, as they are more reliable,
and you don't have horrid driver related problems which you get with
usb/pci modems.

As far as routers go any one /should/ work fine as long as it has an
internal ADSL modem.  CCL's cheapest is the Dlink dsl-500 at =A385.65 inc
vat

ebuyer.com do have some very cheap ones (=A330 ish), but I'd expect them
to be a pile of $=A3*^, and would advise you to get a brand you've heard
of (such as Dlink!)

Hope that helps,

Steve