[Wylug-help] Moderated Print Server

Ian Rutson lists at rutson.co.uk
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:17:23 -0000

I have a dream......

Ok, so that's a bit melodramatic, but I know what I want, I just don't know
how to do it.  With the kids growing up and starting to use computers more
and more, I have built them one, which they love, however, they also love
the printer, especially printing 20,000 copies of their latest creation.  I
have a Mac running debian which I use as a 'playing' box, main role running
apache.  Here is the ideal, is it possible:

Set up samba on Debian box to run as print server (this bit should be no
problem), but I would like it to be 'moderated'.  A print job comes in from
my PC, it prints.  A print job comes in from their PC, it is stored pending
approval from myself or my wife.  What would be really nice would be a PHP
or similar interface to this with thumbnails of the print jobs and
approve/deny buttons.

Currently their machine is running Win98, but is going to XP soon, what
would be REALLY nice, would be to have separate accounts on their PC, so if
myself or my wife print it goes through, but if the kids are logged in, it
goes to the 'moderated' queue.

Is there anything out there or do I have to polish my PHP/Python skills?

--
Ian Rutson - ian@rutson.co.uk

---