[Wylug-help] ADSL & CCL

Steve King steve at kingsteve.co.uk
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:11:56 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Simon Wood wrote:

> In his talk on X terminals, Mike B suggested that the PSU fan could be
> disabled (or replace with a resistor) to further reduce noise. I guess
> this is only an option if you're not running the machine with disks etc.

Only my AthlonXP systems have fans in their PSUs (and one of those PSUs
is an expensive, QUIET one)

My older machines (file server, router, etc) all have their PSU fans
snipped.   The PSUs in those machines are up to about 250W iirc, and the
most power hungry machine (PII, multiple HDs) copes fine with a snipped
PSU fan.  A little warm sometimes, but hey, it's an old machine, and is
still running, so it can't be all that bad!

On the brand of machines I guess Mike was talking about the bios are
"clever" and wouldn't boot if there wasn't a fan connected, so I think
he replaced the fans with resistors to mimic the fans. Very crufty! :-)

> [I think the server should be locked away in a room/basement/attic
> anyway]

At home?  Hidden away yes, but /locked/ ?

Steve
(who doesn't take security that far...)