[Wylug-help] [Wylug-Help]messed up FAT32 partition

Matthew Smith matt at the-good-stuff.freeserve.co.uk
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:07:24 -0000

> > dd if=/dev/hdc1 of=/<mnt>/hdc1.img bs-1024 count=<numblocks>
>
>                                      ^^^^^^^
>
>                                      bs=1024 surely?

I guessed as much

> But sound advice.

yep

> > Fixing the partition depends on what state PM left it in.  You could try
> > using the linux version of fdisk to delete/recreate the partition table
in
> > both the 16k and 32k cluster sizes until you get something that works.
>
> The partition table doesn't store the cluster size.  Doesn't it just tag
it as
> a fat32 partition and leave it at that.  It's more likely that partition
magic
> has shagged the FAT, in which case...

The cluster size seems to be tagged at the start of the root FAT or sth

I made a backup image in my /home dir (in 4 chunks, first dd barfed on a bad
sector and then I hit a 2GB-1 limit twice),  and cfdisk fixed it 100% by
writing a new partition table.

Thanks muchly Gary and John :)  Now I'll go and make a full backup before
trying again. I think I'll make the partitions with cfdisk this time.

Matt