[Wylug-help] RH7.3 and Bluetooth.

mikeb@gbdirect.co.uk mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:22:13 +0000

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 04:37:54PM +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm just about to be given a new mobile - mine's getting tired.  The new
> mobile - a Nokia 6310 - supports Bluetooth.
>
> How does RH7.3 behave with it?
> Does it support it?
> If yes, is it reliable?
>
> To use it i'll need a PCMCIA card. Anyone got any recommendations?
>
> I've currently got an advent 5372 and communicate with my 6210 via a DLR-3P
> cable using standard Hayes compat. AT commands.

I'm using 7.2 with up-to-date bluetooth modules and a 3com bluetooth card
from dabs.com plus a Sony Ericsson t681. Budget a couple of days or
a week of nights to get the damn stuff working. I used it for a while
and it was OK but the bluetooth burns battery heavily on the phone.

The worst of it - once you have done all the frigging around with
the RFCOMM stack, registering the devices with each other etc, you
still only have a serial connection to the phone's internal modem
and then have to run ppp over that if you want to use GPRS.

If I'd known I could have used a ten-quid serial cable with the phone (I
now have one) I'd never have gone near Bluetooth. It does have a range of
about 20 yards in my house though. In the car the Bluetooth is handy
because it frees up the laptop serial port for the GPS receiver.

Cheers,

Mike
--
Mike Banahan - GBdirect - Tel 0870 200 7273
Put some reality back into cyberspace! http://somewherenear.com