[Wylug-help] Smoothwall with UPS

Phil Driscoll phil at dialsolutions.co.uk
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:17:58 +0000

I have a box running Smoothwall sitting on the end of my ADSL line. On the
other side of the firewall I have a number of machines, including a server I
am just setting up, which is running nut and which controls the APC Smart UPS
which powers both the server and the Smoothwall box.

I am currently pondering what to do about getting the Smoothwall box to shut
down when the batteries get low. I suspect it's not such a good idea to run
any of the nut daemons on the smoothwall box.

My best idea so far is to write a script which fakes an http POST as though I
had clicked on the 'shutdown' button on the smoothwall web interface, and
then call that script as the server goes down if /etc/killpower exists.

Any better ideas?
--
Phil Driscoll