[Wylug-help] Smoothwall with UPS

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:57:43 +0000

On Thursday 30 Jan 2003 11:17 pm, Phil Driscoll wrote:
> I have a box running Smoothwall sitting on the end of my ADSL line. On the
> other side of the firewall I have a number of machines, including a server
> I am just setting up, which is running nut and which controls the APC Smart
> UPS which powers both the server and the Smoothwall box.
>
> I am currently pondering what to do about getting the Smoothwall box to
> shut down when the batteries get low. I suspect it's not such a good idea
> to run any of the nut daemons on the smoothwall box.
>
> My best idea so far is to write a script which fakes an http POST as though
> I had clicked on the 'shutdown' button on the smoothwall web interface, and
> then call that script as the server goes down if /etc/killpower exists.
>
> Any better ideas?

Probably the best/simples idea is to have your server simply ssh a shutdown
command to the smoothie.

It's a while since I used the HTTP interface to mine, but I'm sure it involved
some authentication method.  I'm guessing that setting up the the ssh key
authentication will be simpler.
--
Gary Stainburn