[Wylug-help] Image manipulation service/server

Geoff Richards qef at ungwe.org
Tue Jul 15 19:52:08 BST 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:27:45AM +0100, Felix Ulrich-Oltean wrote:
> Hi
>
> We have a number of systems (in Python, Perl and PHP) which all need
> to process images uploaded by users.  We want to produce images
> e.g. thumbnails of a consistent quality across these systems.  We are
> therefore considering making an "images sever" that wraps image
> manipulation stuff and is available to all our systems via some
> universal standard, e.g. http or xml-rpc or whatever else.

If it makes sense to put all the images on your "images server"
then it seems entirely reasonable to serve thumbnails from there.
Just using simple HTTP requests would be the easiest way of
implementing that, and I can't see any advantage for more complicated
things.  The advantage of HTTP is that it's nice and simple and
well known.  You can test it with a browser, or wget, or GET,
and implement with anything from a shell CGI script to fancy
mod_perl stuff.

--

--- Geoff Richards -------------><-------------- http://ungwe.org/ ---
"I tried to fling my shadow at the moon,