[Wylug-help] Can't ping NIC

Peter Ingram peter at smworld.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 16:25:40 BST 2003

Hi,

I've been trying to set-up Samba to talk to an NT box and I found that I
couldn't ping from the NT to Linux, which might have explained the problems
I'd been having.

So I tried pinging 127.0.0.1 and the IP address internally, just to prove
that it was up and running. No response!

The odd thing is that everything else seems to work fine.
NT will http: to apache and Linux will http: to itself and the rest of the
world.

I'm not running any internal firewall or routers, and ifconfig and
netstat -a report all is well.

I've tried another NIC....same thing. I even tried installing Mandrake 9.1
from scratch.....no difference.

Any ideas?

Peter Ingram
Small World Information Services